The Antinoupolis Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to recovering and preserving the ancient City of Antinous through archaeology, conservation and education. The site of Antinoupolis is located in Egypt on the east bank of the Nile, about halfway between Cairo and Luxor, adjacent to the modern village of el Sheikh Abada. The Foundation funds archaeological field projects at Antinoupolis conducted by the Istituto Papirologico "G. Vitelli" of the University of Florence, Italy under the direction of Dr. Rosario Pintaudi and with the cooperation of the Egyptian Ministry of State for Antiquities Affairs. To learn more about the Istituto Papirologico and the history of its work at Antinoupolis, see the following website:
The first funded project of the Antinoupolis Foundation was conducted last winter, during the University's regular season in January and February 2012. If you would like to receive an electronic (pdf) or paper copy of our newsletter detailing the latest news of the Foundation including last season's work, simply let us know.
Please contact us by email:
Or by mail:
The Antinoupolis Foundation, Inc.
4522 S. McDowell Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60609, U. S. A
Above photos counterclockwise from top left: a photomontage of a painted frieze from the tomb of Theodosia (IV-V century CE) in the north cemetery at Antinoupolis, excavated by the expedition in 1936-37; an Ionic column capital (65 x 65 x 35 cm), likely part of a Hadrianic structure at Antinoupolis, found reused in a sixth century church during the expedition's excavation in 2009; some of the expedition's team members in 2011 including (L to R) Fathi Awad Riad, Peter Grossmann, Somaya Abd El Khalek, Ahmed Mursi Abbas, Rosario Pintaudi (field director), Nasr Ahmed Mohammed, Jay Heidel, and Mohammed Saleh Ahmed; and the temple of Ramses II (c. 1200 BCE) at Antinoupolis, which was surrounded by and incorporated into the second century Roman city, and which is currently being studied by expedition team member and Egyptologist Gloria Rosati.